Sunday 24 October 2010

Valley of the Dolls - Jacqueline Susann

I had wanted to read Valley of the Dolls since seeing it on my gran’s bookshelf as an adolescent. The candy coloured cover fascinated me. I knew it was an adult book and that I would not be allowed to read it – yet. Somehow there’s been a gap of many years before I picked up this cult classic and actually did read it. I am extremely glad I did. This is Sex and the City in 50s America with the hard edge of drugs thrown in for good measure. There’s Hollywood glamour, now with a wonderful retro feel. It’s also a clever commentary on celeb culture as relevant today as at the time of the Hollywood starlet. Anne, Neely and Jennifer appear to have it all but underneath the pursuit of perfectionism means a dependence on the brightly coloured ‘dolls’; the uppers and downers which they feel enable them to cope with the ambitions which drive them. Loved it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment